Thread: How to find the perfect C90 to start racing.

How to find the perfect C90 to start racing.

There have been a lot of questions regarding C90's and what to buy.

I'll try and give you a brief run down of what to look for and a bit of background.

First of all, it's C90 racing so you need to find a C90. Easy?

First there's more than one type of C90, do a search for the history and the reasons why, but basically it boils down to the early 6v engine and the later 12v engine.

The 6v engine is actually 89cc and generates a spark using points. Points need adjusting often and since they are mechanical can fail or wear out

Honda developed the 12v C90E for Economy and reliability. The points are gone and the 12v electrics use a CDI to make a spark. At the same time the cubic capacity was reduced to 85cc (or 86cc).

Now I expect Honda spent millions of Yen to increase the reliability of their little C90, unless you think you can do better than them with a few quid and a few cold nights in your shed, then I'd recommend a 12v C90 every time.

It's easy to spot a 6V engine. As the points need adjusting, you can remove the cover to get to them. remember, when buying a bike, it's engine may have been changed, you may have no idea how old it is. Look at the round cover on the gear change side, if it's got two screws in it, it's a 6v. If it's blank it's a 12v.

OK, so you've found a bike, if you're lucky it's a runner if not it's been stood in a shed for 15 years. Don't worry too much about the condition of it, except for one fairly important place.

Under the rear mudguard. These things rust like buggers once they start, it's quite common to find them completly rusted through around the upper shock absorber mount points. Sounds obvious doesn't it. Well it's not, becuase what you see from the outside it actually a plastic cover. Get on the floor and poke about with a screw driver. If bits start falling out, walk away. It's really not worth fixing, as it's all part of the pressed frame.

Don't worry if the forks don't work, you'll be binning them later. But check the wheels are straight and the brakes work.

If it's been stood with an empty petrol tank, have a look inside - if it's rusty, that'll give you problems later.

Once you get it home, strip it and throw away (ebay) the stuff you don't need, strip the engine and clean everything.

If you need any help with anything, just ask.
    S1OPP

Images
    Blog Entries
    Slopp.

Um..you should perhaps post this on the MCN C90 thread ..?

3. Nah let 'em look here!!!

Lazy c90 bastards!

i posted a link on MCN.

Build it and, they will come

Images
    Blog Entries
    So you have....thuper !

6. Nd C90 2007

S1OPP / Archangel;

As you're probably aware, from following threads on MCN Forum, Midlands/North Team now have a bike & have around £600 pledged in sponsorship for next seasons series.

Looking forward to getting stuck in...

Understand that Von has been quite active on the 'mods' thread.
    I'm sure that we'll all be popping in & out throughout the season...

Cheers,

Ti
    Treasurer,
    Team Camel Toe Racing.

Welcome Ti.

Good to have you here.

Images
    Blog Entries
    Sloppy.

Go to bed !