Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ethics Question

1. Ethics Question

Would you work for a tobacco company in a role where you actively encouraged people to smoke?

Yes, if the money was good.

Nope

4. Yea!

5. I've just been contacted about a job (as a creative director) by a headhunter bloke I know

Its working for a tobacco company (Philip Morris I guess)

The salary is amazing and its relocating to a place I've always wanted to work

But its a tobacco company

Dude, it doesn't matter what we think.

What do you think about it?

It's a tobacco company? so what?

Would you feel better if it was a brewery or a distillery?

Take the money man.

8. If you can separate the cash from the cancer in your head, then fine.

You could always leave to go on to bigger and better things, use it as a spring board.

9. Would you work for a tobacco company in a role where you actively encouraged people to smoke?

I am fiercely anti-smoking but pro personal responsibility.

If you were selling sports cars would you worry that somebody could crash and die?

Or alcohol that somebody could get pissed and hurt themselves or others?

If the job ticks the important boxes in your wish list go for it - no-one is forced to smoke.

Just make sure that there can be no personal liability if the company is sued by a disgruntled smoker.

Comments on this post
    doyley agrees: Yea, what he said!

I

Couldnt do it. But then I am confortably off. As for working for a brewery or distillerry yeah certainly would especially if they gave out free samples.

Tobacco is legal so really it depends how you feel about it.If you think you are making personal gain through somoene elses misery then I guess you probably dont. If you view it as providing something that people want and enjoy then you probably can. But only do it if you are comfortable with it. If it dont feel right to you dont do it.

Comments on this post
    doyley disagrees: drinkin/smokin s'all bad innit!!