PDA

View Full Version : front brake calipers......

von41
05-02-2008, 07:31
OK first i don't like to mess with them!!!!

But...

have just got me a set for the GT... (bandit 600 ones) they are in fairly good nick.... but I'm thinking of putting new pins & boots etc... give them a good old overhaul so to speak!!

trouble is the last time i did a caliper overhaul was way back and they were less complex..

am not a total "Luddite" when it comes to maintenance etc!!

and the task don't look that difficult.. but i feel i should ask if you guys know anything about this task that I'm planning to do ?

Grim Rider
05-02-2008, 12:00
I did those on my FJ12 not long ago and was not very difficult (and hadn't changed much since last time I did a set a long time ago - not that can say the same of my BMW ones which are a pig to bleed because of the ABS). A can of brake cleaner was very useful. Also helps if you don't spray the discs with WD40, I know!

von41
05-02-2008, 18:52
yes grim i see.. but the last time i pissed around with brake calipers they was on my old 78 GS1000.. and calipers have come on a tad since then hence my concern.. ;)

Archangel
05-02-2008, 22:16
Only girls use brakes.

Are you a girl, Von ?

von41
06-02-2008, 06:10
erm... as they ain't on the bike yet!!!!

i would say definitely bloke at the Mo!! old friend.. ;)

Grim Rider
06-02-2008, 06:19
yes grim i see.. but the last time i pissed around with brake calipers they was on my old 78 GS1000.. and calipers have come on a tad since then hence my concern.. ;)

I doubt there is much difference between your old GS ones and Bandit 600 ones - the pins and pads may be locatd differently and there may be two pistons instead of only one but fundamentally they are the same - if in doubt there is always the Haynes Book of Lies!

von41
06-02-2008, 07:20
I doubt there is much difference between your old GS ones and Bandit 600 ones - the pins and pads may be locatd differently and there may be two pistons instead of only one but fundamentally they are the same - if in doubt there is always the Haynes Book of Lies!

Grim the two calipers are different in every way apart from using oil & pistons

this is why i thought I'd ask as I've never worked on these floting calipers before.

working in the dark here mate..

von41
06-02-2008, 07:27
calipers..