PDA

View Full Version : Bloody council

paulzxr
01-05-2007, 18:46
going to work today, went round a nice flowing left hander, to be met by fresh tar with loose gravel thrown on top !! felt the grip decreasing on the tyres, throttled off abit to gain grip, close call number 1, carried on with my journey, down a steepish hill into a sharp left hander, once again, loose gravel across the whole road, lost grip, slid sideways across the road, chippings flying everywere, missed the grass bank with inches to spare,slowed to a crawl without touching the brakes, close call number 2,
Luckily i was in my landrover, and not on my bike, otherwise i wouldnt be typing this now, got to work and phoned the local council to complain and was told 'the contractors did'nt have enough signs for the length of repair',
what a bunch of wankers, putting peoples lives at risk because there too tight to get the right amount of signs,

von41
01-05-2007, 19:17
on the other hand!! ..i did not know this till a few weeks ago... with the legislation these days... a contractor can't put a sign up unless the person that is doing the job.. has a "certificate" to allow them to do so.. unbeliverble!!
but true.. and the councils have bods to go around checking said "certificates"

I'll bet that there was no one available with a ticket to put a sign up more like.. and that the contractor would rather take the risk at no sign... than get a bollocking off the council !!!

legislation sucks!!!

Bikerchickett
01-05-2007, 19:46
Lets just hope no bikes, or, anyone else got caught out by it :(

parapanfan
01-05-2007, 21:22
If the council already knew about the hazard and have failed to rectify the signage they are opening themselves to a massive liability suit!

Go gettum!

chazhead
01-05-2007, 21:33
Or not, as the more overinflated liability claims that go ahead over nothing means bigger council tax bills or insurance premiums.

Looks like no one was injured, the council have been notified of the problem leave it there and sit smug in doing ya public duty, why try and make money out the situation?

parapanfan
01-05-2007, 22:16
Clearly as no-one was injured then no claim is due.

However, many organisations employ risk assessors to work out whether it is cheaper to pay out damages than it is to carry out the repairs.

A law suit ups the ante and makes it a cheaper option to make safe the work they are responsible for.

paulzxr
02-05-2007, 15:15
suprise,suprise, this morning there were so many signs, nearly crashed looking at them all :)
oh, and more good news is rather than use gravel on my favorite local road, they've tarmac'd it, looks as smooth as a bowling green now, but with white lines down the middle, and black tarmac not green grass, and there wasnt any old folk dressed up in there whites launching big balls at a small ball, .........you get the idea:D

Bikerchickett
02-05-2007, 19:37
suprise,suprise, this morning there were so many signs, nearly crashed looking at them all :)
oh, and more good news is rather than use gravel on my favorite local road, they've tarmac'd it, looks as smooth as a bowling green now, but with white lines down the middle, and black tarmac not green grass, and there wasnt any old folk dressed up in there whites launching big balls at a small ball, .........you get the idea:D

Yippee :yes:

Tina
02-05-2007, 20:47
Can't win can they