PDA

View Full Version : lightning strikes twice.....

von41
23-04-2007, 19:12
well not lightning so to speak....

around this time 2 years ago..on a Friday, we had a sparrowhawk trapped in the wearhouse... so i pooped to see the MD to ask if i could take a roof panel off and let it out.. he agreed that i could.. but just be careful!! in fact take Bob with ya.. "Bob's in his 60's odd job feller" so off we pop.. we manage to get the panel off un the hawk escapes... sadly that was the very last job Bob did.. he died saturday night of a hart attack..:(

well you'll never guess.... yep!!! another Hawk as managed to get in this after noon...

so do you think mick Bob's replacement will be eager to help ?

TBH.. we did put a replacment panel on the other roof last week...:)

parapanfan
23-04-2007, 20:27
Only took two years?

Bikerchickett
23-04-2007, 20:37
Spooky :D

von41
23-04-2007, 20:48
Only took two years?

yer them sparrowhawks are intelligent so I'm told.. they can fly in... but won't get out same way... see a 10ft wide un 15ft high roller shutter door at each end... is good for getting in.. but a tad tricky to get out of.. :confused:

Bikerchickett
23-04-2007, 20:55
Pesky birds !!

von41
23-04-2007, 20:56
Spooky :D

yer.. i kinda think Bob will be pissing his self laughing wright now!! he were one of them "trickster wind up buggers".. :)

Bikerchickett
23-04-2007, 20:58
yer.. i kinda think Bob will be pissing his self laughing wright now!! he were one of them "trickster wind up buggers".. :)
Perhaps Bob has reincarnated as the Hawk ??

von41
23-04-2007, 21:01
Perhaps Bob has reincarnated as the Hawk ??

bloody hope not... cause the bugger will have me up there all day!! :)

Bikerchickett
23-04-2007, 21:04
bloody hope not... cause the bugger will have me up there all day!! :)
"giggles"

I can imagine you letting it out through the roof and then it flying back in through the door again an hour later !!!!!!

von41
23-04-2007, 21:20
"giggles"

I can imagine you letting it out through the roof and then it flying back in through the door again an hour later !!!!!!

PMSL!! that is prolly what will happen.. :)

Bikerchickett
23-04-2007, 21:26
Please let us know what happens then :D

von41
24-04-2007, 17:56
all went well... panel out!! un hawk out!! 30 Min's tops... :) smooth as clock work... BUT!!!! 2 hours to get panel back in + of course a few fag brakes ;) and a bit of banter.. all in all cracking job.. :)

Tina
24-04-2007, 18:46
lma0' oh.. erm lets hope everyone concerned wakes up tomorrow

von41
24-04-2007, 18:49
lma0' oh.. erm lets hope everyone concerned wakes up tomorrow

you've dune it now T... i shan't sleep now ;)

Tina
24-04-2007, 18:56
Pmsl' what will be will be eh'

you will be fine the voodoo doll is in the box :p

Bikerchickett
24-04-2007, 19:14
Nice one Von... good job done :)

vulcanrog
25-04-2007, 19:40
I'm fascinated by them, Lords of the air they I are once saw a sparrow hawk hit a pidgeon in mid air, more like heard it ! Looked up & it was coming down with the pidgeon already dead.

A cautionary tale of dealing with buzzards ! when I first got back to biking I had a GPZ1100, I was en route to mothers via a lane kind of covered over by trees, THWACK ! on the left side fairing, It was a young buzzard that hit me.
I stopped went back to it --DEAD ! I thought NAH the buggers feign death when grounded, I went round behind & it moved, I folded its wings & picked it up luckily from behind cos this bugger woke up & wasn't happy ! A lady stopped in a car & asked "can I help ?" "switch my bike off please" sez I. She duly did so & was all hyper about seeing a buzzard up close, Damn thing's trying to take my face off & she's trying to stroke it ! I got her to get my phone out to call my daughter who worked at that time for the RSPCA, She told me to check it's wings etc which I did & all seemed ok. In doing this it ended up tucked under my right arm "release it" sez daughter, So I sez to this lady "help me release it in that field open the gate please" She did, All the time buzzing round me really exited which wound the bird up a treat & it continued trying to take my face off !

To release the thing I needed to move it from under my arm & hold it out at arms length & simply let go, Here's the painfull bit ! It grabbed my left index finger in its left talons, I still had gloves on & I tried to wriggle free, with each wriggle it tightened its grip ! Mrs woman is jumping up & down with glee cos its fooking parents turned up & they weren't happy either & proceeded to dive bomb me ! I got my hand free but it had my glove I was happy to still have my face & fingers so I let go & all 3 birds flew off making a hell of a din, My glove was released at about 30ft & I had a 500 yd trog to get it back, When I got back to the gate Mrs woman was gone ! bike was scratched.

moral of the story ? Don't fuck with a buzzard !

Bikerchickett
25-04-2007, 20:06
Ouch !!!!!!

S1OPP
25-04-2007, 21:10
We get loads of Buzzards round here.

An warm evening they all soar about making a racket, counted up to 17 at one time.

They look like vultures circling.

vulcanrog
25-04-2007, 22:03
on a naval air base we have a breeding pair of buzzards in a wood near one of our gates, About this time of year they'll have a youngster they lost last years, It flew into the razor wire severing a wing my daughter came out to put it to sleep, Such a fine bird too. They do this kind of tumbling act now & then, sort of re establishing the bond they get right up high & you'd think they were going to hit the ground but they soar back up & repeat it, Real nice to watch on a quiet day.