PDA

View Full Version : Ethics Question

Hopester
23-03-2007, 09:31
Would you work for a tobacco company in a role where you actively encouraged people to smoke?

S1OPP
23-03-2007, 09:33
Yes, if the money was good.

Woods
23-03-2007, 09:34
Nope

doyley
23-03-2007, 09:35
Yea!

Hopester
23-03-2007, 09:38
I've just been contacted about a job (as a creative director) by a headhunter bloke I know

Its working for a tobacco company (Philip Morris I guess)

The salary is amazing and its relocating to a place I've always wanted to work

But its a tobacco company

Woods
23-03-2007, 09:41
Dude, it doesn't matter what we think.

What do you think about it?

S1OPP
23-03-2007, 09:44
It's a tobacco company? so what?

Would you feel better if it was a brewery or a distillery?

Take the money man.

Noodle
23-03-2007, 09:44
If you can separate the cash from the cancer in your head, then fine.

You could always leave to go on to bigger and better things, use it as a spring board.

parapanfan
23-03-2007, 09:52
Would you work for a tobacco company in a role where you actively encouraged people to smoke?

I am fiercely anti-smoking but pro personal responsibility.

If you were selling sports cars would you worry that somebody could crash and die?

Or alcohol that somebody could get pissed and hurt themselves or others?

If the job ticks the important boxes in your wish list go for it - no-one is forced to smoke.

Just make sure that there can be no personal liability if the company is sued by a disgruntled smoker.

Spire
23-03-2007, 09:56
Couldnt do it. But then I am confortably off. As for working for a brewery or distillerry yeah certainly would especially if they gave out free samples.

Tobacco is legal so really it depends how you feel about it.If you think you are making personal gain through somoene elses misery then I guess you probably dont. If you view it as providing something that people want and enjoy then you probably can. But only do it if you are comfortable with it. If it dont feel right to you dont do it.

biker_spice
23-03-2007, 10:42
Take the money!

Spire
23-03-2007, 11:59
Smoking is a much bigger killer than alcohol. In moderation alcohol can be good for you. I aint saying its problem free it aint. But Tobacco is a big killer.

But like most things its down to what your personal views are as to how acceptable it is

Doc Strange
23-03-2007, 12:02
A12 out of London is your best bet.

Oh, sorry, you said 'ethics'....

I don't see a problem - people choose to smoke, they aren't forced.

Would you worry about working for part of Nestle, or one of the numerous other companies that have questionable ethical records?

DS

Hopester
23-03-2007, 12:03
Ive already worked for Nestle and Murdoch

Might as well go for all three

Noodle
23-03-2007, 13:58
Have you ever danced with the Devil in the pale moonlight?

Doc Strange
24-03-2007, 00:38
If you've already worked for Murdoch, you're probably going to hell anyway, so you might as well earn as much as you can and enjoy it in this life!

DS

RonnI
24-03-2007, 00:48
Dude,
People smoke becasue they want to. its free choice. I"ve had two aunties die of it & my old mum smokes like a whatever.

All would kill for there right to smoke & good on em.

And just think how fine a good cuban tastes with good company.

Archangel
24-03-2007, 01:59
It';s a simple question of principle.

I smoke, but I dont wish to encourage others, especially the younger generation, to do so.

So.

When I was asked, as my first task at a new agency, to work on a cigarette brief, I said no.

They thought about firing me, then realised how good I was and decided not to..

If they had, I'd have accepted it.

A principle aint a principle until it costs you money.

Doc Strange
25-03-2007, 03:24
Good on you Archie. I won't ask what your position was on other cases, as that isn't the point.

The point as it seems to me Hopey is that basically it's a decision only you can make based on your own principles - and your posting about it here shows that you're giving the ethical dimension serous thought.

The only thing I would say, is once you make a decision, put it to bed - there is little to be gained going over and over it once you've decided yah or nay in my opinion.

DS

Archangel
25-03-2007, 15:51
Doc.

I refused to work on kids toy accounts and for any political party.

Otherwise...I was a total whore !