PDA

View Full Version : The future of motorbike after the combustion engine?

markprez
04-11-2008, 18:42
Hi there, My names Mark and currently a design student at Coventry university studying Automotive design in my final year.

As a chosen project, i have decided to look into the topic of alternative power trains for motors bike in the future, in particular using Electricity.

What i'd like to know from you guys is what biking is all about?
What you think about having electric biking in the future?
What you want from a bike?
What do you receive from a bike?
What makes you want to be a biker?

I know that the lack of sound will be a have a big impact on this topic, but what i really want is some positive feedback on the other aspects of biking.

It would be really interesting to hear your thoughts

Many thanks

Mark

S1OPP
04-11-2008, 18:50
Mark,

First of all, welcome to Sparky Slider.

Second, Good Luck getting anything out of the posters on here. Most of them gave up biking many many years ago.

Doc Strange
04-11-2008, 18:59
Hi Mark

I'm happy to answer your questions, but before I do I'd like to ask you if you run them past one of your lecturers before you posted them?

I ask because they are all very broad and might would get very unfocussed responses. What kind of responses are you looking for? Could you phrase your questions in a way that guides the respondent to the desired areas you are interested in?

Your second question, which I presume is your main focus could get replies varying from 'It's a good/bad thing' to 'It's bound to happen' - the first is a judgement, the second a prediction.

DS

Coppersaucepipe
04-11-2008, 19:09
Hi there, My names Mark and currently a design student at Coventry university studying Automotive design in my final year.

As a chosen project, i have decided to look into the topic of alternative power trains for motors bike in the future, in particular using Electricity.

I know that the lack of sound will be a have a big impact on this topic, but what i really want is some positive feedback on the other aspects of biking.

Many thanks

Mark

If you're going to build a viable electric motorcycle then you need one that will handle like a GSXR1000, Accelerate to 60mph in around 3 seconds, 120mph sub ten seconds, have a top speed of 186mph +, and do 200 miles between charges. It should take no longer to charge the battery than it does to fill the petrol tank on a current bike. It should weigh no more than the current bunch of litre sports bikes.

As regards the battery, it needs to hold on to all its corrosive elements in the event of a crash, and should be serviceable. If a battery needs replacing after 3 years because its knackered and costs a third of the original purchase price of the motorcycle, there won't be many bikes over 3 years old on the road. I currently own 2 motorcycles over 20 years old, one 14 years old and one 3 year old.

markprez
04-11-2008, 19:17
Points taken, i'll try and elaborate on the questions

What is biking to you?
- what does it mean to you
- why do you do it
- what are the essentials

What do you think about having an electric bike in the future?
- what things excite you about the technology
- what things disappoint you

- emotions
- feeling
- performance

- ownership qualities
- emotions

- sense of occasion
- iconic events/film etc
- being part of something

I hope this helps a little more, the main emphasis of the design project is about the emotions of biking, and how i can design these into the new bike.
I want to produce a bike that bikers want to use, not the very 'designery' one seen for commuting, a bike you want to be seen on and taken seriously on.

thanks

mark

chazhead
04-11-2008, 19:25
...alternative power trains for motors bike in the future, in particular using Electricity.

Many thanks

Mark

Very subjective, but...

Biking to me is more than simple transportation. It is not just the physical aspects of speed, sound & smell, although they are big parts of the current whole, there is something that I think is either in you or not that makes you a 'biker'. And by biker I do not mean the local bike meet massive who roll their polished dick extension out at weekends. IMHO a 'biker' is someone who enjoys the biking experience regardless of situation, circumstance or type of bike, someone who can have a crack on a moped, hoon on group ride out, ride solo just for the fun of it, duke it out on a track day, ride in the pissing rain & come back for more, experiencing the genuine camaraderie of like minded people who share the same outlook on life.

Biking is addictive and very very hard to let go of. Which is why, as S1opp said, there is a lot of people here who no longer ride but still fondly remember the experiences of when they did, and more often or not, miss it.

So as long as the variety & performance range of alternative fueled bikes remains the same as now, I do not see why there would be a detrimental impact to the 'biking' communities.

By Chaz
Aged 8

PS And I hate most other bikers, boring bastards.

vfrooom
04-11-2008, 19:32
I think I'd lose what's left of my mind if I couldn't ride my bike anymore. All those traffic queues, no sense of freedom.

I'm not a mechanical person - what happens inside my bike is a complete mystery more or less.

I'm just addicted.

S1OPP
04-11-2008, 19:43
What is biking to you?
It's a hobby, it fills the gaps and breaks up the tedium of everyday life. Sometimes it is also the most efficient way of getting from A to B

I've never even considered owning an electric bike, mainly due to the fact that most of them are merely mopeds.

I don't need a bike that goes 200mph or 200 miles on one tank of petrol.
For me, a bike has to make me want to ride it when I'm not. Makes me know I'm riding it when I am and makes a woman so jealous of it she'll smash it with a hammer.

see above

I'm not a biker. I ride a bike. There's a world of difference.

Doc Strange
04-11-2008, 19:43
That's the way to do it Mark!

Responses below:

What is biking to you?
- what does it mean to you
- why do you do it
- what are the essentials

- what things excite you about the technology
- what things disappoint you

Sufficient performance to put a smile on my face, which can be had from 75bhp upwards.
Something that engages me sufficiently in riding it, ie handles well enough.
But really anything that lets me get out immerse myself in riding, specifically in the country.

The satisfaction of the things listed above. Having a bike means I can always just get away form it all and ride.

Growing up and as a teenager I always wanted a bike - partly due to mate's big brothers and partly due to the association with 'freedom', and a particular lifestyle, music, etc.

As an adult it boils down to the ability to just get away from it all and also to engage myself in an activity which I find both stimulating and calming.

Do I think that electric bikes can satisfy my needs? Yes, but not yet - basically I'd want performance similar to what I get now from a BMW GS1200. I'd also want a similar 'tank range' = 200 miles plus.

DS

Archangel
04-11-2008, 22:16
My God.....

A newbie, asking silly questions.

Sloppy.....................

Give me one good reason why I shouldn't tear him to bits.

adobiker
04-11-2008, 22:20
he's an innocent student who presents a genuine request concerning the future of the motorbiking industry and we should be seen to support that....

adobiker
04-11-2008, 22:20
ahaahahahahahahahahahahahaa........

adobiker
04-11-2008, 22:23
basically I'd want performance similar to what I get now from a BMW GS1200. = it must smell of piss and make me a laughing stock.....

Archangel
04-11-2008, 22:37
Mark.

This is what biking is all about.

This, or something similar.

Very few of us actually care that much about the future, any more than those who rode an Ariel FourSquare ever did...

Look...and wonder. But don't ponder...it's a waste of time.

http://www.sparkyslider.co.uk/gallery/showimage.php?i=8057&c=3&userid=3

S1OPP
04-11-2008, 22:40
Now THAT is just beautiful.

<wipes grit from eye>

Archangel
04-11-2008, 22:43
Pre-crashing at Llandow and Nogaro.

As a piece of sheer engineering brilliance, it is unsurpassed.

As a living, breathing, organism.....it is one of God's most beautiful and enduring creations.

S1OPP
04-11-2008, 22:45
I ride my 748 quite a lot really.

And still to this day there is not another bike that I would rather own.

None of the new stuff floats my boat

I can't imagine anything electrical instilling the same emotion

Archangel
04-11-2008, 22:53
One day, when the combustion engine is banned forever and all adrenalin-evoking machines are in the museums, laughed at for being quaint reminders of a bye-gone age, some kid somewhere will get the urge to understand just why they gave us such a buzz.....

Maybe.....

S1OPP
04-11-2008, 22:58
The human race will be living underground by then, and have no need to engines.

Hiding from Skynet

Archangel
04-11-2008, 23:01
The truth is...if you've ever owned a Ducati, everything else seems prosaic, worthy, sensible, "good value" .......

Who gives a fuck ?

Nobody who gives a fuck......

Archangel
04-11-2008, 23:08
You sad, sad man....

numbskull
05-11-2008, 08:58
What's a motorbike?

bigredsprint
05-11-2008, 09:00
Adults ranting.

kelcy1
05-11-2008, 09:22
numb dont ask you might end up buying one and hurting yourself

numbskull
05-11-2008, 09:32
That would never happen, Kelcy.

kelcy1
05-11-2008, 09:34
it might you never know

numbskull
05-11-2008, 09:38
Well, I could have built a new Thundercat out of all the spares but I've burnt most of them.

bigredsprint
05-11-2008, 09:56
get together with Kenny

He seems to be trying to build a yammerharse out of old Trumpet bits.

kelcy1
05-11-2008, 10:44
i blame global warming on all the thunderpussy parts you have burnt

Kenny
05-11-2008, 11:02
Now, electric bikes you say?

Forget these electric mopeds they have now, they are heavy and generally rubash. I'd reckon that yamaha will be first in with a reasonable electric moped, if they stick with and make their electric cycle motor systems work.

Forget batteries, what they need is hydrogen cells and large motors (we're talking Kw not watts here) they will be different to ride because they will have instant torque and totally linear power delivery.

However, this kind off technology is years away from being produced at a reasonable price.

I have a customer who deals with Hydrogen cells if I can remember his website I'll post you a link.

Dizzy
05-11-2008, 11:41
David is the only person who mentioned what for me has to be one of the biggest +'s for riding a bike...

ADRENALIN

The adrenalin rush I get/got from riding is second to nothing I've ever done. Whether it' trying to stay upright on a C90 round a muddy track, making sparks with my pegs on mountain roads in the South of France or just pootling around country lanes, it's exhileration beyond belief.

As well as all the other things everyone else mentioned.

:spin::D

bigredsprint
05-11-2008, 11:54
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRpMV-Gf0hA

markprez
11-11-2008, 18:28
Hi guys, sorry for the lack of input been away for a few days.

Thanks for your input, its been useful to understand what you like about bikes and biking, i understand that the noise factors is huge for motor bikes and is something that will be hard to replace.

You have to remember that this project is about thinking of the future and what might happen, so its not a case of taking away the current combustion engine from you when it still can be used, this scenario is for when there isnt the possible use of such a powertrain, therefore trying to further the future of biking after the combustion engine.

I would like the bike to be influenced by the powertrain, however this means its not going to be a plastic box on wheels!

adobiker
11-11-2008, 21:12
You have to remember that this project is about thinking of the future and what might happen......

you have to remember no one gives a fuck. best advice is, go buy a bike, ride it like a twat for several years before attempting to re-design something that doesn't need re-designing.

Archangel
11-11-2008, 21:25
Mark.

What Ado was trying to say, in his clumsy northern patois, is that your question is largely irrelevent to current riders of motorbikes.

The pleasure they get from a two-wheeled machine powered by the combustion engine, (nobody says "powertrain, by the way, except researchers and engineers who've never ridden) is inseparable from and totally dependant on the means of propulsion.

The smell, the sound, the actual feel of the engine, makes it what it is.

Take that away and you have nothing.

You probably wont even have a thing known as a "motorbike", as such, in the future non-carbon world.

You're starting at the wrong end : posit the type of energy needed or available for transportation first, then design the vehicle which carries it.

I'd send the project back to your lecturers with a big question mark over it.

Archangel
11-11-2008, 21:30
You mean without the rudeness, but with clarity and insight.

adobiker
11-11-2008, 21:33
no.... i mean without the gayness.

Gayerer....

Archangel
11-11-2008, 21:37
Interesting.

The articulate presentation of a concept, with a cogent and incisive arguement is considered gay in Yorkshire.

That explains an awful lot.

adobiker
11-11-2008, 21:39
i prefer pictures meself....

Archangel
11-11-2008, 21:43
Of course you do.

Reading hurts your head, doesn't it old thing.

adobiker
11-11-2008, 21:46
reading bores me shitless whereas seeing gives me goosebumps.....

each to their own.

Archangel
11-11-2008, 21:52
How about both ?

That ever occur to you ?

adobiker
11-11-2008, 21:59
yes. it bored me shitless too....

Archangel
11-11-2008, 22:00
Of course it did, my little teapot.

You're a sensitive flower, are you not ?

adobiker
11-11-2008, 22:03
not really no....

Archangel
11-11-2008, 22:12
Ohhh...I think you are.

You little tease, you !

adobiker
11-11-2008, 22:20
fuck you ! only today i crushed a pretty little flower with my very own foot !

Archangel
11-11-2008, 22:21
Ado, Ado....

With every post, you dig yourself a deeper hole.

adobiker
11-11-2008, 22:23
i don't really care tbh....

S1OPP
12-11-2008, 00:50
Holy Mary mother of the sweet baby Jesus.

Give the poor lad a break.

He's going to think that 'bikers' are all just a bunch of wan.........., oh, erm.

As you were, nothing to see here, move along.

bigredsprint
12-11-2008, 07:15
thats the way forward - huge hydrogen powered non polluting but raucously noisy and lethal rocket momo's.

bigredsprint
12-11-2008, 07:53
Mark.

I'd send the project back to your lecturers with a big question mark over it.

Try using 'Research methods for business’, by Sekaran as a methodology to define your research variables properly.