Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GT up date..

Images

GT up date..

well I've had to replace some parts.... not cheep.. mostly i have to order from the states!!

when i stripped the left side (sprocket cover) i found that the cover had been repaired (welded) and the outer case was split, and the gear shift indicator switch was busted, the wiring harness was a mess..

this is the replacement case that i got from the states looks better than new now I've polished it on a buffing wheel at work and a bit of elbow grease the old one is on the left..

http://www.sparkyslider.co.uk/galler...php?i=8020&c=6

looks like it's going to take me some time to put the bike back to a reasonable condition or to my standard..

Images
    Blog Entries
    looking forward to seing the finshed article Von - when do you reckon it will be done?

Images
    evening chaz... tough one that..

could be next year if i get more time to spend on it..

but I'm needed at work at the week ends prepping for the move.. don't get much time to play with it..

trouble is each time i go to the shed to work on it i find something else that needs replacing

the parts list is growing!!

to date I've found that the front end is off a GS850 well the fork bottoms/fork legs/brake calipers/ discs/ wheel/ and master cylinder... all though the yokes top & bottom are GT750 b..

the rear swing arm is a Dresda one & rear wheel is a Melber alloy.. so I've got a GS750 swing arm and a GS750 rear wheel.. I'm informed that you can do a GS conversion so i can run a disc brake on the rear end..

may as well have a bike that can stop on a sixpence.. Ho and matching wheels

Images
    This is definitely one project to keep you out of trouble Von

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikerchickett View Post
    This is definitely one project to keep you out of trouble Von
    erm.... well.... you would think so!!!

er the law is happy that I'm not hooning around...

BUT!!!! erm.. the Mrs... is not to happy.. see I've ordered a wiring harness from the states... paid for said item & p&p.... well it's come.. now the post office has my shipment.. but they now want £30 off me extra!!... TAX man wont's £16.50 & parcel-force wont's £13.50...

she not in good mood

I'm beginning to think no matter what i do.... I'll get in trouble with some one!

no win
    Last edited by von41; 03-10-2007 at 19:31. Reason: will no post ?

Images
    well it's been awhile... met a few dramas!! GOOD GOD..

never simple is it.. the plan is to build a special (one off like) was planning to graft a GSX 1100 EFE front end on, so i got wheel, forks, spindle, job lot around £50.. brill. "but no yokes".. so i look into having forks re-chromed £137..and yokes made £295 for yokes + £88 for stem & £91 for spindle Wow!! that's close to £600.. I'm not over the moon at that!!

so have had me a chat to a GT owner "Kettle club member" he's told me that Bandit front end will fit with a slight mod to the yoke stem, think that sounds a better plan and with the dosh that i would save could go towards the engine build etc!!

will let you know which way i go.. but the bandit swap looks fave

Images
    Blog Entries
    dunno if it's of any use Von...but I done a front end swap on my old zzr1100. I put on a ZX9 front end and the same as you, the prefered method of sorting the yoke/stem problem was to have a new one machined.

I found out the stem of the 9 & the 11 were the same diameter it was just the length of the stem on the 9 was too short.

Perfomoto in Tottenham came to my rescue and swapped the 11 & 9 stems over....fuck knows how but they only charged me £80 quid I think it was and bob you aunty's live in lover, everything fitted lovely like.

So just an idea to chuck in, if you can find a stem that fits the headstock that has the incorrect yokes, you may be able to get em swapped over.

Images
    top man Chaz... that's exactly what i plan to do.. have just got a bandit front... well forks & yoke set.."this very morning"..from bits-A-bikes (Ilkeston) nice feller that Brian.. I'll now see if i can swap the yoke stem over to fit the GT frame..
    Last edited by von41; 12-01-2008 at 15:42. Reason: tryping error

If you need any machining done Croft engineering in Sawley are very helpful .The boss of the place cold bored and reground my C90 head stock bearings to take a standard derbi stem for £15 .... did a top job

Images
    cool thanks bud..