Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: The future of motorbike after the combustion engine?

1. The future of motorbike after the combustion engine?

Hi there, My names Mark and currently a design student at Coventry university studying Automotive design in my final year.

As a chosen project, i have decided to look into the topic of alternative power trains for motors bike in the future, in particular using Electricity.

What i'd like to know from you guys is what biking is all about?
    What you think about having electric biking in the future?
    What you want from a bike?
    What do you receive from a bike?
    What makes you want to be a biker?

I know that the lack of sound will be a have a big impact on this topic, but what i really want is some positive feedback on the other aspects of biking.

It would be really interesting to hear your thoughts

Many thanks

Mark

Mark,

First of all, welcome to Sparky Slider.

Second, Good Luck getting anything out of the posters on here. Most of them gave up biking many many years ago.

3. Hi Mark

I'm happy to answer your questions, but before I do I'd like to ask you if you run them past one of your lecturers before you posted them?

I ask because they are all very broad and might would get very unfocussed responses. What kind of responses are you looking for? Could you phrase your questions in a way that guides the respondent to the desired areas you are interested in?

Your second question, which I presume is your main focus could get replies varying from 'It's a good/bad thing' to 'It's bound to happen' - the first is a judgement, the second a prediction.

DS

4. Quote Originally Posted by markprez View Post
    Hi there, My names Mark and currently a design student at Coventry university studying Automotive design in my final year.

As a chosen project, i have decided to look into the topic of alternative power trains for motors bike in the future, in particular using Electricity.

I know that the lack of sound will be a have a big impact on this topic, but what i really want is some positive feedback on the other aspects of biking.

Many thanks

Mark
    If you're going to build a viable electric motorcycle then you need one that will handle like a GSXR1000, Accelerate to 60mph in around 3 seconds, 120mph sub ten seconds, have a top speed of 186mph +, and do 200 miles between charges. It should take no longer to charge the battery than it does to fill the petrol tank on a current bike. It should weigh no more than the current bunch of litre sports bikes.

As regards the battery, it needs to hold on to all its corrosive elements in the event of a crash, and should be serviceable. If a battery needs replacing after 3 years because its knackered and costs a third of the original purchase price of the motorcycle, there won't be many bikes over 3 years old on the road. I currently own 2 motorcycles over 20 years old, one 14 years old and one 3 year old.

5. Points taken, i'll try and elaborate on the questions

What is biking to you?
    - what does it mean to you
    - why do you do it
    - what are the essentials

What do you think about having an electric bike in the future?
    - what things excite you about the technology
    - what things disappoint you

- emotions
    - feeling
    - performance

- ownership qualities
    - emotions

- sense of occasion
    - iconic events/film etc
    - being part of something

I hope this helps a little more, the main emphasis of the design project is about the emotions of biking, and how i can design these into the new bike.
    I want to produce a bike that bikers want to use, not the very 'designery' one seen for commuting, a bike you want to be seen on and taken seriously on.

thanks

mark

Images
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markprez View Post
    ...alternative power trains for motors bike in the future, in particular using Electricity.

Many thanks

Mark
    Very subjective, but...

Biking to me is more than simple transportation. It is not just the physical aspects of speed, sound & smell, although they are big parts of the current whole, there is something that I think is either in you or not that makes you a 'biker'. And by biker I do not mean the local bike meet massive who roll their polished dick extension out at weekends. IMHO a 'biker' is someone who enjoys the biking experience regardless of situation, circumstance or type of bike, someone who can have a crack on a moped, hoon on group ride out, ride solo just for the fun of it, duke it out on a track day, ride in the pissing rain & come back for more, experiencing the genuine camaraderie of like minded people who share the same outlook on life.

Biking is addictive and very very hard to let go of. Which is why, as S1opp said, there is a lot of people here who no longer ride but still fondly remember the experiences of when they did, and more often or not, miss it.

So as long as the variety & performance range of alternative fueled bikes remains the same as now, I do not see why there would be a detrimental impact to the 'biking' communities.

By Chaz
    Aged 8

PS And I hate most other bikers, boring bastards.
    Last edited by chazhead; 04-11-2008 at 19:46. Reason: Forgot somthing that S1opp reminded me of

I think I'd lose what's left of my mind if I couldn't ride my bike anymore. All those traffic queues, no sense of freedom.

I'm not a mechanical person - what happens inside my bike is a complete mystery more or less.

I'm just addicted.

Comments on this post
    toolie agrees: Yay... something is lost in Keiths' mind. But, but, but... he's Marvin!!!!!

What is biking to you?
    It's a hobby, it fills the gaps and breaks up the tedium of everyday life. Sometimes it is also the most efficient way of getting from A to B

I've never even considered owning an electric bike, mainly due to the fact that most of them are merely mopeds.

I don't need a bike that goes 200mph or 200 miles on one tank of petrol.
    For me, a bike has to make me want to ride it when I'm not. Makes me know I'm riding it when I am and makes a woman so jealous of it she'll smash it with a hammer.

see above

I'm not a biker. I ride a bike. There's a world of difference.

9. That's the way to do it Mark!

Responses below:

What is biking to you?
    - what does it mean to you
    - why do you do it
    - what are the essentials

- what things excite you about the technology
    - what things disappoint you

Sufficient performance to put a smile on my face, which can be had from 75bhp upwards.
    Something that engages me sufficiently in riding it, ie handles well enough.
    But really anything that lets me get out immerse myself in riding, specifically in the country.

The satisfaction of the things listed above. Having a bike means I can always just get away form it all and ride.

Growing up and as a teenager I always wanted a bike - partly due to mate's big brothers and partly due to the association with 'freedom', and a particular lifestyle, music, etc.

As an adult it boils down to the ability to just get away from it all and also to engage myself in an activity which I find both stimulating and calming.

Do I think that electric bikes can satisfy my needs? Yes, but not yet - basically I'd want performance similar to what I get now from a BMW GS1200. I'd also want a similar 'tank range' = 200 miles plus.

DS

Images
    Blog Entries
    My God.....

A newbie, asking silly questions.

Sloppy.....................

Give me one good reason why I shouldn't tear him to bits.