PDA

View Full Version : garages and female customers

scorps
06-03-2007, 18:14
car failed its mot at formula 1 in bulwell on saturday. brake pipes all corroded which i assumed was a fair judgment seeing as i had to have the small front ones replaced last year, what did irk me somewhat was the fact that the garage quoted me the following costs for replacement

2 main brake pipes 79.95 each
driver side rear 29.95 and both to the compensator 29.95 each
now as i happen to know that you can have a complete set of brake pipes and fittings for an astra 1.6 sport made for 19.95 , the garage have managed to ensure they will never have any further dealings with me.

a colleague at work is going to get them and replace them for me for a lot less and a discounted tattoo off me daughter at the studio where she works

what really annoys me is that garages even now will assume that women are thick when it comes to getting a car fixed, while i knew that the costs didnt sound right i have to admit i wasnt sure of how much they were out but because im a tight git i always ask around before commiting myself to getting work done that i cant manage with me trusty haynes:mad:

parapanfan
06-03-2007, 18:29
Pfft!

Men eh! :no:

S1OPP
06-03-2007, 18:40
It's not just women they try it with.

They'll try it with everybody, especially with brakes.

Last time I took a car in I was told it needed new discs and pads and was quoted nearly £400.

I got a set of pads from Halfords for £30 and there was nothing wrong with the discs.

Brake pipes are easy money for them, most garages carry a roll of pipe and make them up to fit, costing pennies. For every person, like you, that walks away there are two more that cough up and thing the garage are wonderfull.

Tina
06-03-2007, 20:03
If you ask me they all try it on, with everyone.

vulcanrog
06-03-2007, 20:44
I always use my local independent garage, He knows I was a mechanic in the RAF, always gets me in to see the failure points, Never does or recommends unnecessary work. I've found the biggest rip offs to be the likes of Halfords, They bank on Joe public being ignorant of all things mechanical.