PDA

View Full Version : Sparky Slider Features.

S1OPP
05-03-2007, 18:43
This thread is designed to give you a quick overview of some of the things you can expect to find here at Sparky Slider.

First of all, a simple request. If there's something in particular that you think Sparky Slider should have and you can't find it. ASK! Either PM me, or post in the Feedback forum. I'm more than happy to incorporate any of your ideas into the site.

Features:

Gallery

There's a huge gallery at Sparky Slider containing 1000's of images, every member gets two personal albums, one in 'Members Bikes' and one in 'Members Own Albums'. Neither exist until you post your first image. You can post what you like (within reason) to your Own Album - try and keep Members Bikes to just bikes.

There's loads of features in the Gallery, such and rating and adding comments to the images or sending e-cards.

Forums

There are a number of forums open to everybody, but there are several that are private and accessible only by group membership. If you need a forum created for a specific purpose, just let me know.

You can subscribe to threads in any forum you have access to, so you'll always now when there's been an update.

Calendar / Events

It's possible to post an Event in the calendar, a discussion thread is created for each even, which makes it easy to discuss all the details or the event. Event reminders can be selected too, so there's never any excuse to lose track of what's going on. Upcoming events will be displayed on the main page.

Private Messages

You can send PM's direct to any other member, or send to up to 5 members at once. There's a limit to the number of messages you can keep but, it's easy enough to export the messages if you run out of room.

As you post your post count increases, as it does your rank will progress, hopefully you won't stay on 'Applied for DAS' for very long.

Alongside your post count is your reputation level, when somebody agrees with one of your posts your reputation level increases. The amount it increases depends on that person's reputation power, the higher your reputation the more green squares you get. To Agree/Disagree with a post simply click on the scales icon for that post.

If you post something that offends somebody, you can expect to get an infraction. Get too many of those and it's a temporary ban.

You can include other users from Sparky Slider on your Buddy list, if they also put you on theirs then you will appear as each others Friends on your profile pages.

Also on the profile page you can see how many times your profile has been viewed and who by. You can also view any user notes that have been left for you by others.

Style / Layout

There are different colour schemes to choose from. At the bottom of the page you'll find the 'Style Chooser', select whichever scheme you prefer.

parapanfan
05-03-2007, 19:58
Is it possible to use the 24 hour clock when tabling 'most recent post'?

I know I would find this easier to distinguish than the 12 hr clock.

S1OPP
05-03-2007, 20:09
Is that better?

parapanfan
05-03-2007, 20:38
Yes thanks - but you don't need the PM bit on a 24 hr clock :)

S1OPP
05-03-2007, 21:01
Quite right too.

Bikerchickett
05-03-2007, 21:08
Thats neater now :)

parapanfan
05-03-2007, 21:11
Holey moley!

You don't get the webmaster thing do you?

You use your superior understanding of all thing geeky to make excuses and tell tales of how difficult it is to make 'improvements' and it could take weeks.

I know this because I was an MCNer.

Bikerchickett
05-03-2007, 21:17
Poor Sloppy, he does his bestist :)

And Sparkys works when ND doesn't !!!!

S1OPP
05-03-2007, 21:17
You see, if I was being a proper Webmaster, trying to earn a living, I'd probably have to tell you that the changes would have to be tested in the development environment before being put through user acceptance testing and a final beta test, before going to a release candidate stage. Then version controlled and change managed for the next realease - in say, a month.

Or I could just open up the admin control panel, change it and click save. :D

Thing is, there's about 1000 settings for this software, and I have to admit I haven't looked at every one, so even after a couple of years lots of them are still defaults. So I'm more than happy to change them to suit anybody.

parapanfan
05-03-2007, 21:23
Mmmh - I think I've just discovered the difference between this and other sites.

You use the word "I" a lot as opposed to "we" or worse still "they" that those others seem to use.

S1OPP
05-03-2007, 21:35
I know what you mean. lol.

Unfortunately, if something goes wrong on here I haven't anybody else to blame!!

:eek:

parapanfan
05-03-2007, 21:43
Good motivation to get it right first time - see my last post for alternatives

von41
05-03-2007, 23:14
is a wizard.....:yes:

Mowtoimb73
02-12-2009, 15:40
Using features in control panel is very easy , you can say it is user friendly control panel , but to configure it at server end brings in problems of compatibilty......