PDA

View Full Version : gasket on clutch housing

scorps
04-03-2007, 11:03
ive got a leak, appeared after the bike had been moted for some strange reason and it looks to be coming from one of the bolts which on close inspection appears to have been over tightened at some stage, wasnt me as id never had a problem, how easy is this to sort, gixer750k1 model, i cant afford to take it to a garage but need it on the road as my cars failed its mot and i need the bike for work, its not leaking when the bikes standing but theres a fine clear oil on the case when its been run

HELP anyone???? i do have the haynes manual but its not very clear to a non techi like me

RonnI
04-03-2007, 11:11
Lots of gasket goo around the seals & leave 24 hrs.

chazhead
04-03-2007, 11:16
Scorps, it sounds as tho one of the bolts has been over tightened/crossthreaded and has stripped out the casing, meaning it cannot apply enough pressure to seal the case at that point.

Easiest fix is to helicoil it. In case yoyu don't know what a helicoil is, it's a Stainless or steel thread inserted into aluminum threaded holes to strengthen the connection on the inside for attaching a screw/bolt.

If you have not done one before it's a good idea to have someone around who has.

http://www.workshopsupplies.co.uk/en-gb/dept_269.html

S1OPP
04-03-2007, 11:17
A new gasket will only cost a few quid tops.

Drain the oil, remove cover, clean off old gasket, insert new one, replace cover, tighten bolts to correct torque, refill oil.

An hour to 90 minutes tops.

scorps
04-03-2007, 11:35
thanks guys