PDA

View Full Version : Ask S1oop...

von41
09-07-2007, 20:47
Hi mate.. can i ask!!

cheeky git me...;)

as you to have a CB100 front end on your bike like us... did you find that it kept bottoming out on the ruts ?

have you put spacers in the top of the forks... to bolster the springs ?

would you recommend this action ? or do you think replacing the fork seals would be a better way ?

i did have a look today and found that the fork legs traveled nearly to the top of the bottom yoke..(when full weight is on front end ) and both seals are blown :(

S1OPP
09-07-2007, 23:49
never noticed our forks bottoming out on the ruts, only the jumps.

but like yours, the seals are blown, and it feels like most of the oils has gone.

I'm going to strip them and put fresh oil and seal in. then see what they are like.

since there's no preload adjustment spacers might work, but I'll try some heavier oil first, although that might just blow the seals quicker.

Guess we should stop jumping! :|

akey_uk
10-07-2007, 06:43
Chaps, having spent some time working with suspesion, thicker fork oil will increase the damping effect (shouldn't blow the seals) which will reduce the amount of travel on the forks for any given impact, if you put spacers in to preload the spring you will effectivly stiffen the spring rate up a bit but you will not affect the damping, this should reduce the botteming out but retain maximum suspesion movement over the ruts.

Von, I think a strip down would be worth while mate, with new seals and fresh oil (think I still have some fork oil in the garage). I think we may need to check the seal around the allen bolt that is at the bottem of the fork leg as well a washer and some instant gasket should seal it nicely. I dont think we should go for much thicker fork oil, a light or medium wieght oil for off road use should be what we are aiming for.

What do ya think matey.

von41
10-07-2007, 18:07
Thanks s1oppy for your input it's always welcome..

right... Akey..

I've inspected the front end today (felt a little better today)..

here go's.. both seals are blown, we have a 10mm bolt snapped into the stanchion..(that holds the mudguard on).. the fork legs seam straight but have found movement on the forks..

(when you grip the front wheel between your legs and turn the handlebars you can twist the forks)..

I'm going to make a brace that will clamp onto the top of the stanchions this should stiffen up the forks..

I'll buy some fork seals around £6 i think ?

I'll try and get some shims made for the fork springs.( spacers for preloading springs )

I'll let you know how i get on..

akey_uk
11-07-2007, 06:45
Von, nice one mate -cheers. If you need any cash let me know mate and I will chip in.

von41
11-07-2007, 07:29
OK mate... seals are on order and paid for, being delivered this week..:)

think I'm working this saturday so will give me a chance to get some spanner time in on bike.. and a bit of development to..