PDA

View Full Version : slowness....

von41
10-05-2007, 08:15
last night my pooter was slow...

so did some tuning and scans..

result;... no bugs, no viruses, even did a "Wash & go" scan.. total clean hard drive... disc scan error check dune..

pooter is running fast again... but!! Microsoft still insist that i need a update it's a...

"cumulative security update for Internet explorer 6 service pack 1 (KB832894)"

i keep downloading it and installing it.. must have dune it 12 + times now...
dam thing keeps coming back.. even after a re-boot...

I'm thinking a trip to the shed... and returning with a large lump hammer to solve this most annoying problem.. or maybe just shoot the dam thing :(

Bikerchickett
10-05-2007, 08:18
Mine has just done a microsoft update and wants to reboot... i think i might have to let it !!

Bikerchickett
10-05-2007, 08:26
Reboot done, but its time for brekkie as i have loads of stuff to do before work at 12.

Have a good day Von and good luck with the 'puter x

von41
10-05-2007, 08:47
you to mand.. just take it easy..xx

me i don't have the time to mess with the bugger at the mo.. and if i did.. it would get very messy!!

I'll just go work.. un see what mischeef i can do there instead.. :)

I'll sort this bugger out later..

*puts hammer on desktop....with note pinned to it...THIS IS WHAT YOU IS GUNNER GET IF YA DON'T STOP MESSING WITH ME..* :)

S1OPP
10-05-2007, 13:27
Von,

I'm not sure what's going on with your machine, but KB832894 is MS04-004, a security update from Feb '04.

If the install didn't work during an update you'll never get to see any error messages.

Download the update direct from Microsoft (save it locally) here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=BE0C18BC-7F9A-4196-BFDE-29EBA8CF7A50&displaylang=en

The run it manually, see if it kicks up any error messages.

von41
10-05-2007, 17:45
s1opp,

I've done that mate.. here's my history.. see next post..

it tells me that I've been successful every time.. but it comes back un tells me i have a update... and yes it's the same one..

I've had a look in my control panel and it's not there.. cause I'm on Explorer 9..
think Microsoft are trying to give me a update that i can't use.. ?

von41
10-05-2007, 18:00
s1opp... see pic..

S1OPP
10-05-2007, 20:25
You could try reinstalling IE6 and Sp1, then let it do an update.

I've just checked and I'm on IE6 SP2, so downloading SP2 will make this update redundant anyway.

The way it looks for updates is by checking file version numbers.

Sometimes, the files get updated by something else, and it sees the wrong version number so assumes the update hasn't been done, so does it again.

Failing that, do an Update but instead of letting it do the express install, select the advance one, and take that update out, tell it not to download it again.

von41
10-05-2007, 20:45
reet... dam i need a brake..

what I've done..

been into download center Microsoft...

had a go at re installing.. Internet explorer 6 service pack 1 ... says I've got the most up to date version.. had a look at 7 is no good for 2000..

then downloaded "Divx" latest version for windows 2000...

then downloaded a new updater.... run a update.. got a update for capicom ?

well it now don't ask me for that flipping update "service pack 6" no more..

I've no idea what i did to upset it.... but it's gone... whoo hoo!! :)

S1OPP
10-05-2007, 21:47
I reckon the older version of the DIVX plugin had overwritten some IE6 SP1 files.

The updater would have thought these files were still part of the IE6 update bundle and try and update them.

Looks like the new DIVX update has replaced the files.

Windows update is brilliant at getting itself in a mess with not MS apps installed.

Bikerchickett
10-05-2007, 22:02
Well done you two :D

von41
10-05-2007, 22:22
yer thanks s1opp... bleeding micky mouse..

ta mand...;)

erm.. think I'll give vista.... a big miss... i did KILL XP once... not ready for that bugger yet.... seems to have more glitches than 2000NT.. mind i do dabble on XP.... but not often.. am still learning

Bikerchickett
10-05-2007, 22:30
I like XP now.... wont use Vista until i have to !

von41
10-05-2007, 22:42
TBH... XP was released before it was ready... and now Microsoft as done it again with Vista.. but that's progress innit..:no:

Bikerchickett
10-05-2007, 22:47
TBH... XP was released before it was ready... and now Microsoft as done it again with Vista.. but that's progress innit..:no:
Tis typical of stuff these days :(

von41
10-05-2007, 23:32
Tis typical of stuff these days :(

yer... but what nark's me.... i still have no idea what coursed my pooter to go off on one.. unless it was cause i gave FireFox the elbow.. as it was not compatible with me Google search engine.. hence me giving it the elbow ?
mind it was not fully installed so i don't think so..

maybe s1opp would know ?

Archangel
10-05-2007, 23:36
Utterly gay.

All of you.

von41
11-05-2007, 06:29
thank's Archie :)

so "Utterly gay" = good and informetive post then..

cool.. :)

Bikerchickett
11-05-2007, 08:15
yer... but what nark's me.... i still have no idea what coursed my pooter to go off on one.. unless it was cause i gave FireFox the elbow.. as it was not compatible with me Google search engine.. hence me giving it the elbow ?

maybe s1opp would know ?

Sloppy is pretty good when it coms to computer type things :yes:

Jay-rs
13-05-2007, 16:31

maybe s1opp would know ?

Firefox comes with google in the search bar as standard.

von41
14-05-2007, 07:28
Firefox comes with google in the search bar as standard.

it dose... :confused: could you explain why then.. when i downloaded FireFox..

it said that it was not compatible with my Google toolbar and insisted that i chose another search engine instead ?

which i must say that i was not inclined to do... hence me giving it the elbow..