PDA

View Full Version : my head hurts....

von41
07-05-2007, 21:02
just spent all afternoon... buggering about with my wireless router settings..

was wondering why my Internet was slow at times.. so i had a poke around with the settings.. and found that all this time I've been in unsecured connection..( Wi-Fi ) well it's worked.. me son came in and said Dad!! i ain't got no internet access... "yes i said".. and neither as all the other freeloading buggers!!.. gave him the password.. un he's pleased as punch.. :)

Dad's rock!!

Jay-rs
07-05-2007, 21:12
WiFi is great, I can access 4 unsecured routers at my mates house, just a shame I live way past where jesus lost his sandals, so theres nobody to leech from here.

Bikerchickett
07-05-2007, 21:23
Nice one Von :)

von41
07-05-2007, 21:29
thanks mand.. :)

i hope that it's cured the slowness at times that I've been suffering with ?

not a tec head see..:)

Bikerchickett
07-05-2007, 21:37
thanks mand.. :)

i hope that it's cured the slowness at times that I've been suffering with ?

not a tec head see..:)

I am well impressed... mind you now mine is secured it seems to be slower at times !!!!!

von41
07-05-2007, 21:46
I am well impressed... mind you now mine is secured it seems to be slower at times !!!!!

i could be wrong.. ?

but i think the less pooters connected.... would mean more power for the few ?

not sure how it works though..

Bikerchickett
07-05-2007, 21:52
i could be wrong.. ?

but i think the less pooters connected.... would mean more power for the few ?

not sure how it works though..

Think you are right there Von... i think mine is summat to do with my new hub... the old router seemed faster !

von41
07-05-2007, 22:01
Think you are right there Von... i think mine is summat to do with my new hub... the old router seemed faster !

Hub ? what a Belkin USB multi-point Hub.. is it self powered ?

Bikerchickett
07-05-2007, 22:10
Hub ? what a Belkin USB multi-point Hub.. is it self powered ?

No its a BT Homehub thingy

von41
07-05-2007, 22:20
No its a BT Homehub thingy

Aha... them plug into land line thingumabobs and is wireless to pooter.. I've seen um.. sweet :)

Bikerchickett
07-05-2007, 22:24
Aha... them plug into land line thingumabobs and is wireless to pooter.. I've seen um.. sweet :)

Thats the one... my lappy is wireless... but have wired the PC, well it is at the mo

von41
07-05-2007, 22:53
may i suggest... if you are going to go wireless on your pooter... D-link and Linksys.. do a brill PCI adaptor i know they are deara.. but good if not the best

Bikerchickett
07-05-2007, 22:59
may i suggest... if you are going to go wireless on your pooter... D-link and Linksys.. do a brill PCI adaptor i know they are deara.. but good if not the best

Ta... 'puter has wireless already, but decided to wire it as a bit more secure... supposedly ?

von41
07-05-2007, 23:09
Ta... 'puter has wireless already, but decided to wire it as a bit more secure... supposedly ?

ok I'll send you a link and you can test if your at risk... it's ok trust me.

it's from Gibson research.. called "SHIELDS UP" .. is safe to use >.. just scroll down to shields up and click on it..

http://www.grc.com/intro.htm

Bikerchickett
07-05-2007, 23:20
ok I'll send you a link and you can test if your at risk... it's ok trust me.

it's from Gibson research.. called "SHIELDS UP" .. is safe to use >.. just scroll down to shields up and click on it..

http://www.grc.com/intro.htm

Thanks Von, i'll have a squiz when i am more awake :D

Spire
09-05-2007, 06:11
Yeah they are good. Useful when visiting friends or relatvies that dont have broadband. Just do a search for local wireless networks and often you can find an unsecured one that you can attach to. Just be aware that you can be prosecuted for it if caught. Although highly unlikely. Think there has only been one such case and they were sat in a car outside someones house!

von41
09-05-2007, 07:46
mmmm.. would that be 3 points una £60 fine ?