PDA

View Full Version : Fila 999

bigredsprint
04-04-2007, 11:05
a buddy was looking at one the other day but seems to think that it will need some cam belt type things replacing soon. Anyone know what mileage they need replacing at and the likely costs?

Any sensible answers gratefully accepted along with the usual pisstakes.

S1OPP
04-04-2007, 11:40
Not sure about the 999 but expect it to be much the same as the rest of the superbike series, since the all uses similar engines.

Service intervals are every 6k miles, and unless it's a 999R, it'll be minor service at 6, 18, 30 and major service at 12, 24, 36.

Major service will include timing belts.

Costs - At a Ducati main dealer, major service will be around £1K (possibly more if it needs other stuff like clutch plates etc)

Ducati Independant, half that (same deal with the extras)

S1OPP
04-04-2007, 11:50
If it's a 999R then there are no minor services.

bigredsprint
04-04-2007, 12:45
Think its the 'ordinary' one but it must be coming up to 18K.

Very pretty little toy but I guess every silver lining has its cloud. Guess that if he wants something more exclusive than his gixxer, he'll have to dig a bit deeper in his pocket.

S1OPP
04-04-2007, 13:05
The 999/749 has grown on me since I first saw it.

But it's no 1098.

Trouble with Ducati servicing is that if you try and save on the servicing costs it will bite you when you try and sell it.

If your mate is thinking of getting a 999 that's due a service then he should either get it at a bargain price or, get the bloke selling it to get it serviced first.

Personally I'd be suspicious about somebody selling a bike before it's service is due. Perhaps they know there's something going to be needed that isn't covered by the service cost, clutch is alway a good one.

He should get it serviced and add the price of the service to what he wants for it.

bigredsprint
04-04-2007, 14:32
your words of wisdom.

Ta!